Friday, May 20, 2016

The POWER of SHOWING UP!

In California, our teachers go through a program called Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment (BTSA) Induction.  BTSA is system of support and professional growth that our teachers with preliminary credential go through to obtain a California Clear credential.  At the end of the year, all of the teachers participating in BTSA throughout the year come together for the BTSA Colloquium.  It is always an honor to congratulate and share a few words with our beginning teachers.  Each year, I am told by the director, "Thank you SO much for coming!  It means so much to have you and other administrators here."

Which brings me to the story I shared with the group this year.  When I was announced as the next superintendent of FSUSD, I was congratulated by a long-time fantastic clerical employee who works in the central office.  After her kind words, she said, "I don't know if you remember, but you were my son's teacher."  I was embarrassed to say that I didn't remember that.  She went on to tell me (which was so kind of her) that I was her son's favorite teacher and that he loved school that year.  She shared the story of how I had promised to come to one of her son's baseball games.  She told me, "I kept telling Ryan that I wasn't sure his teacher was going to be able to attend.  Teachers are so busy.  I didn't want Ryan to be disappointed."  I said to her, "Please, dear God, tell me I showed up!"  She exclaimed, "You did!  And it is what he remembers about you."  Little did I know that showing up to a baseball game would view me in a positive light decades later.

This story got me thinking about the importance of showing up.  It is so fun to see students perform, especially young students, and watch them wave enthusiastically to those whom they recognize in the crowd.  Students remember when their teachers and administrators attend events or are visible on campus or in the classrooms.  In fact, one of the biggest concerns I hear from teachers and parents involves administrators not being visible.

Everyone has a busy life and perhaps other obligations that don't involve attending students' extra curricular activities.  Nevertheless, everyone can still show up for these students in class, every day at school.  Being present and acknowledging our kids is so important.

I love the African Zulu greeting, sawubona.  This greeting means more than "hello."  Sawubona means, "I see you."  This traditional greeting says, "I see your personality.  I see your humanity.  I see your dignity and respect." In an article written by Glen Pearson in 2011, the author shared another important word, ngikhona.  This reply means, "I am here."  This word tells the observer that you feel you have been seen and understood and that your personal dignity has been recognized.

May all of us see others and feel as if we've been seen!  Show up and ENJOY!




No comments:

Post a Comment