Friday, January 29, 2016

The GREAT Kindness Challenge!

This past week, our district participated in The Great Kindness Challenge.  I do have some mixed feelings about this week-long event.  It is a bit sad to think that we have to explicitly challenge people to be kind.  Then again, how awesome is it that for one whole week people are focused on completing random acts of kindness!  Some students sent me some letters this week as one of their challenges.  Most people don't fully understand the job of the superintendent.  Heck, half the time I struggle with understanding the job! :-)

Nevertheless, I received letters from students thanking me for being an awesome superintendent.  Here is one of my favorites, "Dear Kris Corey, I love you as a friend!  Even though we have never met, we still love you.  You are the a great superintendent, the most greatest superintendent of all!  Nothing will change my mind that you are awesome!  No superintendent is better than you are.  You shine on every one in the school.  You are bright like a shooting start.  You are as beautiful as a rose.  You are very cool.  Nothing will bring me down unless you leave us. If you leave us, I will say thank you for everything."  So...I am thinking I will bring this to my next evaluation meeting! This random letter from a student who doesn't even know me certainly brightened my day and brought a smile to my face.

This week, I attended the ACSA Superintendents' Symposium.  I sat next to someone wearing a "Kindness Matters" button.  Wes Smith, Executive Director of ACSA, spoke about school districts that were documenting their one million random acts of kindness.  Many resources regarding kindness are available on the internet.  Please take some time and check out www.kidsforpeaceglobal.org or www.kindness-matters.org or www.greatkindnesschallenge.org.  Let's keep this kindness challenge going strong!  #Kindness365  I like the following Tedx Talk.  "Listening is a great act of kindness!"  

Why Kindness Matters with John Sweeney

No comments:

Post a Comment