Friday, February 5, 2016

Sigh...The Good Ol' Days! Remembering kindergarten.

I had the pleasure today of visiting The Sheldon Academy of Innovative Learning.  The kindergarten teacher asked the class, "Do we want Ms. Corey to be mindful with us today?"  The students were so excited and dropped what they were doing to quickly gathered in a circle on the rug.  The students told me I would have to sit criss-cross apple sauce, close my eyes, be very quiet, and take some deep breaths.  After two minutes of quiet with only the sounds of the students' ocean breaths, the bell chimed and everyone opened their eyes.  The students reported what they thought about or how they felt.

I was instantly taken back 1969 and a small kindergarten building in Lake Preston, South Dakota where I attended school.  One of our school supplies included a small nap rug.  Mine was a rectangular, woven rug with fringe on both ends.  Each day, we students unrolled our rugs and spread out around the kindergarten classroom.  We would lay on our backs and close our eyes.  Our teacher would tell us to take some deep breaths and relax.  Sometimes kids would fall asleep.  I worked hard not to do that for fear I would miss out on being the wake-up fairy.  Students who were particularly quiet and still were chosen to choose a fairy wand and gently tap students who could then open their eyes.  In retrospect, I am wondering if we had a few things right back then.  Most of our time was spent playing in the various settings, such as a kitchen, post office (yest, post office!), doctor's office, grocery story, or building room.  We sang songs and danced a lot.  These were fond memories. At that tender age, I did have some trauma happening in my world.  I often wonder if those kindergarten naps and restful periods helped me in dealing with the chaos inside me.

Sheldon Academy of Innovative Learning is a K-8 school of approximately 700 students.  The majority of the students qualify for free or reduced lunch.  Many of these students come from homes where they have experienced a great deal of trauma.  The kindergarten teachers have reported that since beginning the mindful practice, students are experiencing much less stress, anxiety, and angry outbursts.

A bulletin board posted in the classroom displays what the students say about practicing mindfulness.  "I feel good in my brain."  "I feel peace and quiet."  "I can tell what I am feeling inside."  It takes away annoying stuff."  "I feel some buzzing like a honey bee, and I feel like the honey."  "I feel like I can do anything because I feel calm."  It's making me happy, happy, and more happy."

How often have we been told to calm down and take a few deep breaths?  Perhaps this isn't something that comes naturally to everyone.  People have been talking about mindfulness for thousands of years.  Perhaps we need to go back to the Good Ol' Days.

1mindcorrect

2 comments:

  1. This is a great reminder that it is important to help students (and ourselves) be mindful of the physical and mental state we are in. Ps my nap mat was tan and a tiny bit padded. It folded up into thirds. The teacher used to play softly on the piano as we rested after lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! I'm currently taking a course for certification at MindfulSchools.org. Great tool for anyone! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete