Friday, April 8, 2016

The IMPORTANCE of Language!

I believe I was in my early twenties before I flew in an airplane.  Growing up, the traveling we did was in a blue Chevy station wagon.  We drove to Minnesota from South Dakota and stayed with relatives for family events.  I recall as a child being so impressed that we crossed the Wyoming border on a visit to the Black Hills.  I believe that the lack of traveling I did as a child, combined with the large quantity of books I read about exciting foreign places, contributed to my passion for travel.

My most recent trip was visiting Panama.  My mom, who also had the travel bug in her later years, was planning a tour of Panama when she died unexpectedly at the age of 82.  This trip had special significance because of my mom.  Everyone should see the amazing Panama Canal.  I marveled at this engineering feat that was opened over 100 years ago.

So, why is the title of this blog about language?  I have visited many countries throughout the world.  No matter where I landed, I was able to find English speakers and quickly connect.  The places I stayed in Panama were not necessarily staffed with English speakers.  The restaurants I visited were places where English wasn't spoken or understood.  First, I cursed myself many, many times for not learning Spanish.  Then, I would try and communicate using the few words I knew or point and use hand gestures.  One day, I booked an all day tour.  The small boat accommodated fifteen people, After the tour started, I realized none of my boat mates spoke English.  As we toured the Caribbean waters of Bocas del Torro, I listened and was able to understand much of what people were saying.  My expressive language, however, is so poor I didn't even try to say anything. I was so self-conscious that I spent the day silent and alone.  Now, anyone who knows me understands that this must have been torture.  It was!  I kept thinking how I must have been perceived by the others.  I am sure I came across having poor social skills, pretty dull, and unintelligent.  I am certain these folks who were laughing and talking with each other saw me as a bore with no sense of humor.  How I wished that someone would have tried to speak with me even if their English wasn't that great so I could maybe speak to them with my poor Spanish!

I reflected greatly that day on the 3174 English learners that we have in Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District.  I empathize with them as they enter our schools trying to figure out what is going on and how to fit in.  I am inspired by the fact that they come to school every day and not only learn the language, but also work hard to learn the content.  I realized the importance of the many instructional strategies that are needed to assist our students in making connections.  I was so grateful for the pictures and gestures that people used to assist me in communicating.  Kudos to our students and families who readily navigate our system on a daily basis!  I recognize now, more than ever, the need for our district to lessen the language obstacles and barriers.

On a final note, my mom would have loved the story that the small urn carrying some of her ashes was almost confiscated at the Panama City airport.  I was unable to say, "Estas son las cenizas de mi madre."  Smiles and laughter are the universal language of all!


No comments:

Post a Comment